The Durban march planned by members of Operation Dudula will go ahead on Sunday.
Metro police have confirmed that a group of about 400 people have been granted permission to go ahead with the march in the CBD.
The movement’s controversial stance on foreign nationals has come under fire as it says it’s against the employment of illegal foreign nationals.
The organisation announced earlier this week that its members would embark on the march tomorrow and that it was given permission to do so.
However, eThekwini Municipality at the time said that it wasn’t the case and that the application was still with its officials.
Metro Police spokesperson Parbhoo Sewpersad says the city manager approved the march later this week.
“The march is to be held on Sunday from our City Hall to Point SAPS. There will be 400 participants according to the permit and there will be forty marshalls. We have a full deployment and a joint deployment from Metro police and SAPS to police the march.”
Meanwhile, a network representing refugees in KZN says many foreign nationals are on edge ahead of Operation Dudula’s plans to launch in Durban this weekend.
Ganzamungu Zihindula, from the SA Refugee-Led Network in KZN, says he doesn’t want anyone to be harmed.
“We want to alert our community members because we don’t want them to be affected or harmed.”
The movement gained momentum last year following efforts to clean up parts of Gauteng, but its controversial stance on foreign nationals has come under the spotlight.
It says it’s against the employment of illegal foreign nationals.